Friday, April 4, 2008

Disaster

A few of my friends have told me I'm the best cook ever. I have them fooled is the truth. Let me tell you a story to prove myself. Tonight is my sisters wedding reception and I volunteered to make some of the sheet cakes that we'll be serving. I was assigned the carrot cakes and have a wonderful recipe. However, the recipe is huge and usually makes a 3 layer circle cake. The recipe said you can use a sheet cake pan, so I believed it. I made the batter and feared it would flow over. I kept my eye on it and everything was going good. Then disaster struck. I noticed smoke coming out of the top of the stove so I looked in the oven and it had over flown from the back and was dripping right on the metal heating things! Smoke was quickly filling my house and a fire was about to start. I called my mom in a panic to see what to do. (I was worried about ruining the cake.) I ended up just taking the cake out of the oven...it probably would have tasted smokey anyways...and had to open up every window in my house. I wish I would have taken a picture to make a better post out of this, but I wasn't thinking about that then! After I broke down and gave myself the talk I give my preschool kids, "Crying's not going to solve anything. What can I do to fix it?" I just started cleaning, airing out the house, and started a new batch. So, ended up making 4 sheet cakes all this morning, 3 of which turned out. (The one that I had to take over becuase it over flowed is in the trash, and that's a whole other story of me trying to get it in the trash bag...I made a huge mess!) I ended up peeling and grating 5 lbs of carrots. My hands are died orange and my wrists are so sore it hurts to move them. My feet are also sore and swollen. These cakes better taste good! The last cake is in the oven...wish me luck! So that's the story of the last 4 hours. Oh, I forgot to mention I plugged the garbage disposal so I only had half a sink to work in and wash dishes. I don't know how Ryan unplugs it and he wasn't available at work to talk to. It really was a disaster!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Melissa, that's horrible! I'm glad you ended up with some good cakes, but what a nightmare to go through. Normally I'd say don't worry about it, just take what you have; but since it's for your sister's reception I suppose it's worth all of the work you had to do.

Unknown said...

Well I still think you are the best cook ever! I bet you were so panicked, I would have been running around like crazy and just gone out and bought the cakes! You are a trooper and I am sure those cakes turned out fabulous!!

Andrea :) said...

I am so sorry! I hope that the rest of the cakes turn out well. I'm sure they will taste great! I think your sister owes you big time. ;)

nat and josh said...

Oh Melissa that's sounds terrible! That's great that you made the cakes though. I usually just buy stuff. I didn't have anything homemade at our reception. This will definitely be one day you won't ever forget:)

Jenn said...

It's called pregnancy hormones! haha

Rappleye Family said...

Man that stinks! Wow!! But you learn from your mistakes right? ha ha

Emily said...

Oh, man! What a bummer situation! I hate the stress of having to make things for a special occasion. I'm sure the reception was just wonderful and that your cakes were great! :)

Aggieland Mom said...

No way, I don't believe you...You're just making it up! haha j/k I still think you ARE the best cook ever, everyone has to have a disaster once in their life, right? I hope they turn out great and your feet and wrists feel better! That's a lot of work!

Monette and Mark said...

Sounds like such a mess. How awful! After all that I hope they turned out yummy in the end.