Sunday, May 24, 2009

Big News

(This is why I've been so busy!)
Some of you already know, but I am about to have a career change. For the past two years, I've been teaching preschool with my mother. My parents have owned a preschool for about 30 years and decided to add on and build a child care center. During their planning, they were approached by a local business and were asked if they would run a large center that the business had received grant money for. So, to make a long story short, the 1+ million dollar center is about completed, and I am going to direct the new "Smart-Start Quality Child Care." The center has a capacity of approximately 90 children. Our opening date is June 1, 2009. Yes, just one week from tomorrow. There's a lot to do before then! Here are a couple pictures of the building.

We have different rooms for the different age groups. We will provide quality, nurturing, and loving care for infants through 5 or 6 (until they start public school). This is one of the rooms.


This will be my office. (Desks aren't in place yet.) Both of my parents will also have space in the office. The plan is that Celeste will just hang out with me in my office and hopefully I can get work done! I have been so busy trying to wrap up our preschool year and on top of that, trying to hire staff, figure out schedules that make everyone happy, enrolling children in the center, and getting all my paperwork done so we can get licenced through the state. *sigh* It's been a little crazy around here and I'm VERY anxious for everything to be up and running and going smoothly. We'll see how long that takes to happen!

And on top of all that work, here is a picture of one out of three truck loads that are coming. My mom has been extremely busy "shopping" for state of the art furniture and equipment to put in the rooms. Starting tomorrow, we'll be busy unpacking all these boxes and more to come and setting everything up.

So that's what's been going on around here! It's been a new experience for me doing job interviews and talking to so many people and parents. I'm excited for the things I'll learn and this great opportunity!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

You will do great!!!

Anonymous said...

You are on hardworking momma!

The Crook Family said...

I wish I was there with you to join in the venture...it looks like a blast!

Pete & Kenna said...

That is so awesome. You will do an amazing job!