Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Opinions Wanted

Are you a digital scrapbooker?
With our family growing, we had to give up our "hobby room." Therefore, all my scrapbooking stuff was packed away in a tote and left in the back of a closet. If you are a scrapbooker, you know as well as I do that I'm not going to see it much at all until I have a new hobby room (new house...which isn't going to happen for a long time!) Due to this, I'm throwing around the idea of doing digital scrapbooking. This is where I need your opinions. Where do you go to do your digital scrapbooking? What are the pros/cons? Do you enjoy scrapbooking digitally? And what's the cost of going digital? (I have started playing around with one but I'm curious how the cost compares to other places.)
Thanks for your opinions! I appreciate it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Melissa- I am thinking of making the change to. Just for the sake of having all my supplies in one place (the computer) and not having to pull it out, work on it, keep it safe from little hands, and then put it all away.

I haven't scrapbooked in a long time because of this hassle. Let me know your findings about going digital. :) PS When are you due again?

Unknown said...

This link might give you some help too, I get all kinds of ideas from Make and Takes.

http://www.makeandtakes.com/5-digital-scrapbooking-tips?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+allaboutthemakeandtakes+%28Make+and+Takes%29

Ben and Cortney said...

I do digital scrap booking through photoshop and just love it. I just did a blogpost on it. I LOVE IT. It is easier (no clean up, no measuring, no set-up). Only thing that is difficult is you need to really figure out where and how you are going to print it and make sure you follow ALL the printing guidelines set by that particular company/website when scrapping. An up side is you can print multiple copies, meaning when your kids are older you can either give them a disc or you can print out their favorite pages for them. And you can't beat the free downloads for paper/elements. It's great, i highly recommended it.

emily said...

Kaylene & Amy K. do digital scrapbooking. I know they are big into it so I would ask them. I'm sure they've checked around. I gave up scrapbooking before Karlee was born because I knew I would never be able to keep up & I hate unfinished projects. I went to Kohls & bought new photo albums that have the journaling on the side. It was so easy to catch up & has been a huge stress reliever. I still have all my scrapbooking stuff for little projects & making cards, but I will not be making any more scrapbooks. Kevin is looking forward to all the money we're going to save. :)

Carissa said...

I LOVE digi-scrapping. You can create everything online without the mess and hit save at anytime. Plus you can always undo or change or alter without wasting supplies.

Costs would include your software, any kits or materials, and printing. I use Photoshop to create my layouts. It's one of the more costly programs, but also more extensive. I love it. You can purchase a basic version called Photoshop Elements for around $100. Theres also a free program online called GIMP that is pretty common too. As far as kits and materials, there are TONS of free things available online. I rarely purchase my kits unless I really want something specific. There's also a variety of options when it comes to printing as well. You can print individual sheets or have your layouts bound in a book. I haven't printed any layouts yet but have a couple of places that have been highly recommended that I play on trying. Just be sure, like Cortney said, to check your layouts according to the printers instructions when you print. Some trim a little tighter than others.

I had tons of questions when I first got started. Feel free to email me if you have any questions! littlefordfamily (at) gmail (dot) com. Good luck!