Monday, September 29, 2008

Allergies and Cameras

It's time for an update. First about the dairy and allergies. It's been a week and a day now and I'd really like a big, tall glass of milk. I still don't know a whole lot, though. It seems like Celestes eczema is going away. However, she is still stuffy. She had a low grade fever on Wednesday so I'm not sure if she picked up another bug or what. My plan is to stay off the milk/dairy for another week and see what happens. I don't know what I'm doing and wonder if I'm doing more harm than good. Now is she not getting the calcium she needs? I just wish she could breathe clear for once! (It gets me frustrated, if you couldn't tell!)

Now about my digital photography class and cameras. Last Saturday was my first day of my photography class. I learned a lot about the settings on a camera, the aperture and shutter speed and what to set them at for different pictures, etc. I was excited to learn about that. However, I didn't learn much about what camera to buy. But I think I know what camera I want. The teacher of the class asked me if I was figuring out what I wanted to buy and started talking about the SLR cameras. (They are the ones that you have different lenses.) I told him I didn't think I needed one of those and he looked at me funny and said, "Well if so, you're the first one!" I just don't want to have to keep buying the lenses that zoom and they are as expensive as the camera. This is the camera I'm looking at. It's a Canon PowerShot SX10 IS. It is a new camera and released on October 15th. It has a large zoom and 10 MP so I can blow my pictures up. I think it will work well for me.

Now I want to know what camera you have, what you like about it or what you don't like about it or wished it had. So please tell me! And if you know anything about cameras I'd like to know!

5 comments:

emily said...

I've already told you this, but my favorite feature on my fujifilm is the motion stablilizer. I have a really hard time holding still while taking pictures. It corrects it for me. I really love my fujifilm, I am very satisfied with it & would buy another one. Good luck. I agree with you. It's not worth it to buy all the lens.

Anonymous said...

I was just reading in a Babytalk article that a mom gave her baby probiotics for infants for her baby's eczema, anyway just thought I'd let you know-I tried to go off dairy for a while as well because I thought Jordan was having trouble at about that age as well-it seemed to help a little and it was really difficult because I already have a pretty limited diet, fortunately everything seemed to get better as he got older. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE and think SLR's are totally worth the price. They make a HUGE difference and once you've used one you'll never want to be without it! I would highly suggest either the Nikon D40 or the Cannon Rebel. I've worked with both. I personally like the Nikon a little better, but they're both fabulous. I promise it will give you a fabulous picture. Remember too, not all megapixels are equal. A digital SLR might only have 8 megapixels, but will give you a much clearer picture than a regular "cheaper" digital camera with a higher megapixel. I know its a big commitment, but once you buy the lenses they're good for any Nikon or Cannon (depending on which you go with) and if you want to upgrade anytime in the future, your lenses go with you. I've been saving for a few months now for one so I've done a lot of looking around. (They have lots on Ebay if your willing to go used.) Good luck without your dairy... I hope Celeste clears up soon!

Monette and Mark said...

I agree with Jeanna. I haven't actually used an SLR but I like photography and have read a fair amount about cameras. I would really like to have an SLR. One of the big differences is the DOF (Depth of Field). A long DOF allows for focus over larger distances while a short DOF will allow only a narrow distance to be in focus. A narrow DOF will have the subject in focus and the background a little blurry, allowing for a more professional look. DOF can be easily adjusted on an SLR, but the only way I know to accomplish it on my camera is in full zoom. (If anyone knows another way, let me know!) Also, SLR cameras offer the RAW image format along with the JPEG. If you are planning any post processing, which I am sure you are, the RAW format is much more flexible and gives better final results. I have a Canon Powershot S2 IS (5 Megapixel). It utilizes the Digic II processor, while the SX10 uses the Digic 4. Most of my other complaints with my camera have likely been addressed in the newer Digic 4 image processor.

In most photography I've seen, a huge zoom isn't required. Actually, when you zoom you decrease the amount of light coming into the camera which will result in lower quality in lower lighting.

All that being said, I am not too dissatisfied with my camera, especially for the price. I have gotten some pretty good pictures, but only after much playing around with the settings and lots of time. I really do want an SLR though... it is on my list of "Someday, when we have enough money we'll ..." I would definitely recommend SLRs from all that I have read and also from what I have experienced trying to get professional looking pictures from a non-SLR.

I hope this helped... if you have any clarifying questions, just let me know.

Mark

Monette and Mark said...

Here are 2 examples of narrow DOF. Copy and paste the links into the address bar to see the pictures.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_tdWHu-1RaIE/RybJhhzfrdI/AAAAAAAAAQw/YDJGENqs100/s1600-h/post1.jpg

In the second one, notice the blur of Lexi's hand. Because I was at full zoom with less light coming in, the camera set to a slower ISO speed, thus taking longer to complete the picture, resulting in partial blurring of the subject. Also, the white balance is less than superb, but then again, the Digic 4 processor my have helped to address that...

http://bp2.blogger.com/_tdWHu-1RaIE/RybIbxzfrXI/AAAAAAAAAQA/Jz_7ABkOfTY/s1600-h/post7.jpg