Sunday, September 21, 2008

Good Bye to Dairy Products

Sorry I haven't been very faithful at posting. There hasn't been too much happening in our home. Part of that is because Ryan hurt his back again a week ago and was moving slow all week long and then I got sick on Thursday. All is well now, though!

The real reason for this post is to give you an update with Celeste and our new plan. To fill you in, Celeste has had a stuffy nose since she was about 1 month old. I kept thinking it was just one cold after another but at times I wondered if it was allergies. My pediatrician told me at her 4 month check up that it is very uncommon for allergies this young, but it is possible and it'd be something she's getting through my milk. He asked if I eat a lot of dairy and yes, I do. Milk and eggs are most common food allergy for children. (And peanuts but I don't eat those very often at all.) I didn't think much of it and thought I'd just stick it out and hope the stuffiness would go away soon. So a week passed and Celeste got a cold. (I'm pretty sure it was a cold.) She had the green snot and a cough. However, when that cold passed, she went back to clear snot like she had before and has had all along. So I started really wondering if it was a food allergy. Celeste also has eczema, which is tied to food allergies. Now I'm not a doctor or any sort of medical professional, so I don't understand how a food allergy can cause a stuffy nose, but they say it does. After 4 months of a stuffy nose, I'm willing to give anything a shot. I've decided to go off dairy products (milk, cheese, and also eggs) for a couple weeks and see if there is any change in Celeste. If you know me well, you know I LOVE milk. This is going to be a real challenge for me, so hopefully I can make it! I have mixed feelings about it. I really want it to help her, yet I hope it doesn't. I want it to help so I can finally know why she is always so stuffy. However, I don't want her to have an allergy and I want to continue drinking milk! If she does have a milk allergy, the good thing is that it is one that a lot of children will outgrow. So wish me luck this week as I go without my milk. Today was my first day. I'll let you know how it goes. Also, if anyone has had any experiences with their children and allergies, please give me any information you know that may help me!

And, I had to add a couple of pictures of Celeste. She's almost sitting up on her own. The second picture she is falling over. These aren't great pictures like the last ones. They are just snapshots I took today.

9 comments:

Rick and Jenny Runyan said...

Hey Melissa! First of all, I want to meet Celeste and hug her all day, she is so cute! And, I've been through the no dairy thing before too! McKyla had excema a lot and apparently it is a sign of allergies, but I went off dairy because she was cranky A LOT and would keep spitting up. I didn't cut out all cheese cuz it's on everything I like to eat. But I did notice a change in her mood so hopefully you'll notice a change in her stuffiness. Good luck though, it's pretty tough, especially with ice cream! And for your milk issue, I drank Lactaid or Soy Milk, and even though they don't taste as good, they don't have the lactose or whatever milk does that makes it harsh on kids' tummies. (If you make them chocolate milk you can't taste the difference too much). But by the time McKyla was about 8-10 months, I started dairy up again without any problems. Well sorry I wrote a book and I hope you survive! I miss you!

Monette and Mark said...

That would be so hard to go without dairy. Good luck!! Hopefully you'll figure out something soon.

Jenn said...

Good luck!!! I don't know if I could go without milk and cheese!

Giles Fam said...

Wow--good luck with the dairy thing. Sorry! I'm sure you'll do great, though

Kirk and Janelle Tingey said...

She is getting so big! And I love the dress she's wearing :)

Harrison's said...

Good luck Melissa. That's true motherly love! I love the pictures too. She has such a cute smile!!

Jena said...

Good luck with the diet change - Kaylee had eczema really bad when she was younger and it got so bad that we took her to Dr. Barnes (before good ol' Fisher was here). Anyway, he ended up testing her for all kinds of allergies and taking her off dairy products for starters to figure it out. The tests revealed nothing and the change in her diet didn't help but she did get over it and it hasn't even been a problem ever since - we think it was our wood stove, which the dr. told me no, that's not it. Anyway, listen to your mommy instincts and take care of that sweet little girl - good luck with everything!

Emily said...

Hopefully you get everything figured out! Good luck going without dairy products; that's a really hard one for me, too!

Anonymous said...

Good luck without dairy Melissa! I love silk, and Max loves the chocolate version. It's a little sweeter than milk, but a good substitue I think. I hope it helps Celeste!