Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Candy Canes - for Jen W.

This post is mostly for my friend, Jen W. I think I told you I'd take pictures step by step when I made these candy canes again. I didn't get pictures of every step, but here are pictures of me making them.

For everyone else, it is tradition in my family to make these yummy braided bread candy canes and take them to people around Christmas time. This is what I've been doing all day long!
Jen: You make the dough, let it raise, and then roll it out so it looks like this. Then cut your slits, you can kind of see it in them. Then put your cherry pie filling down the center. (I was running out of cherries on that second candy cane!) You can get about 3-4 candy canes per batch. (I made a double batch, so I made a total of 7 today)

Then start braiding! I always start at the bottom and kind of pull the dough up. Does that make sense?
Shape them like a candy cane when you place them on your baking sheet. Cook them and then glaze them. Here they are finished!
My family always puts them in pop flats that has wrapping paper in the bottom with a piece of wax paper over the wrapping paper.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

becky ward said...

melissa, those look delicious! thanks for sharing!

Harrison's said...

Come on...let's tell the truth...they are beer flats-not pop flats. Unfortunately we all know what the beverage of choice is in Riverton.

Ryan and Melissa said...

Actually, the ones I picked up today from Safeway were pop flats! And some canned milk flats!

Monette and Mark said...

These look so yummy!!! Can we get the recipe for your dough and glaze? I'd like to give this a try.

Andrea :) said...

Those are so festive and cute! I bet they taste great, too. :) Can we get the dough recipe? Thanks :)

Unknown said...

Oh Melissa...Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!! I think I always put too much cherry filling in my pastries that they were oozing out the sides after it was braided. I do want to know how you lift them from the counter to the pans? That is where I have a hard time too. hehe

Oh those are so delicious and I wish I would have made them this year! :) Yours always look perfect and I am sure they tasted perfect too!

Ashley said...

I remember when you brought us some of this yummy treat. I even had you bring me the recipe, but never understood how you did it. Now maybe hopefully I can try it! Yum. They look beautiful!