Monday, October 29, 2007

12 Weeks 5 Days

Today I had my second doctors appointment. I used to work with my doctor and became pretty good friends with his staff so I know him well. He recently purchased a new fancy ultrasound machine that even does 4D pictures. He goes to a lot of trainings on how to use it and the cool stuff you can do with it. Last week he went to a training on 1st trimester screenings to detect abnormalities such as Downs Syndrome. He was really excited about it today and used me as his guinea pig. I'm not exactly sure what he did because he was using all sorts of fancy language but he did the sonogram and measured the babies spine. You also look at the nasal bone. He said everything looks fine. My doctor's working on getting certified to be able to offer this to all his patients and then will be able to send the pictures to specialists to analyze if he sees there may be a problem. I was just his test and he did it all for free. It's great having connections!

This 3D sonogram picture is cool, but it kind of looks funny. The babies head looks really big, but that's not all her head! You can see her little head looking down. I think it looks like she has a Pluto hat on or something. I don't know what that is, though.



This is just a 2D picture. It's still pretty cool. There's a lot of difference in the last 4 weeks. It was fun to watch the baby move. She is active! She kept on "bouncing" off the walls. It sure is a neat thing and I feel like Ryan and I are very blessed to have a little one coming to us.

15 comments:

Jenn said...

That is so cool! We want to go get one done before the baby comes but its so expensive!!

Aggieland Mom said...

Hey that it awesome. I loved getting my ultrasounds for Alex, it all of a sudden becomes more real when you can see them!

Monette and Mark said...

How cool to have connections. That's fun to see a 3D picture. Ultrasounds are so amazing.

Anonymous said...

You kept using "she" do you already know that you're having a girl!? I love the 3D ultrasounds. I had gestational diabetes with Grace so I had to go to the hospital for my ultrasounds every 2 weeks, and they have the 3D machine, by the end I felt like I already knew what she looked like. Congrats!

emily said...

So I take it you are implying that it's a girl! Congrats. Love the pictures.

Andrea :) said...

What a neat picture! Glad to hear you are doing well. :)

Ryan and Melissa said...

We are pretty sure it's a girl. They haven't proven it through sonograms or anything, but through some neat spiritual experiences that we've had, we know it's a girl. (And if it's not, there is a girl waiting to come to us; but we still think it's a girl.)
Jeanna-When was it that they diagnosed you with gestational diabetes? Do you have any side effects, especially earlier on in your pregnancy? You can e-mail me if you would rather do that then post: melissamikesell@hotmail.com

emily said...

tagged you-for details see my blog

becky ward said...

How amazing! I am so excited for you.

Kirk and Janelle Tingey said...

Yea for your baby! The 3D pictures are great

Anonymous said...

I think I was around 4 months when they diagnosed me with it. The only thing I really noticed warly on in my pregnancy was just that I would get really low blood sugar if I wasn't eating frequently enough. I'd get shakey and stuff like that. But, later on they worry about the baby getting large if you can't maintain your sugar levels. (hence the reason they monitored the baby so closely with the ultrasounds) I was lucky, I didnt need insulin or anything I was able to maintain my sugars pretty well with diet. Grace did end up having to be a c-section though because I apparently have a very small pelvous and she was pretty big. They took her a week early through induction (at first) and she was still 7 lbs. 12 oz. We have a video of her c-section on our blog that's pretty cool, if that kind of thing doesnt make you squeamish. If you have any other questions seriously give me a call anytime or email me jnstrassburg@yahoo.com

Sara Love said...

That's so neat. I love seeing ultrasound pictures. Each one is so individual and special. It's fun to see pictures of what's going on inside of you, isn't it Melissa? We're excited for you guys!

Giles Fam said...

Congratulations on your baby! That is so exciting!

Sandy said...

I am so excited for you two! I hope you didn't get as much morning sickness as I did. Also the ultrasound pictures are amazing. I didn't get a 3D one of my little girl till I was 20 weeks. So your really lucky, especially since you have a great doctor you like too. Well hope all is going good. Keep in touch.

emily said...

anymore updates?